Summer in Lubbock has been fantastic: swimming at Dunbar Lake, floating the lazy river at Lubbock Water Rampage, + enjoying a refreshing treat at spots like Tea2Go. We DON’T! WANT! this summer to come to an end, but hey – it’s back-to-school season, kids. If you’re wondering where to begin when it comes to back-to-school shopping to prep that school year like it’s hot (it is hot), we’re here to give you a hand. Peep below for some of the local Lubbock spots with the products and services YOU need to get your kids ready (and keep yourself sane!) this school year.
Must-Do’s Before the School Year Begins
1. Give your child a new haircut for the new school year
– Hair by Heather is the locally-owned and operated salon giving haircuts, hair coloring, perms, and other styling services for all ages. Heather and her team of professional stylists know exactly how to give your child a new ‘do that will have them ready to go back to school in style. Every day be picture day. (JK, that would be terrible.)
2. Beep, beep! Get yo’self for the carpool line!
– Shepherds Auto Care is known for good, quality work and good, quality service. Have any of your car issues resolved quickly AND efficiently before heading into the busy school year.
– Racer Classic Car Wash is the car wash known for giving your car hands-on, personal attention and ensuring your expectations are exceeded. Have your car looking shiny and new when you drop off your mini-me(s).
3. Stock up on back-to-school makeup
– Merle Norman Cosmetics has cosmetic and skincare products for a range of styles and needs. If your kids are into makeup, have a “girls day” to stock up on skincare products, lipgloss, and all things (parent-approved) makeup.
4. Squeeze the last bit of fun out of summer!
– Thunder Zone’s summer hours are coming to a close at the end of August, so before the school year begins, take advantage of the family fun with GoKarts, laser tag, cosmic golf, and arcade games. Also, Thunder Zone is offering a back-to-school special with two-hour unlimited bands for $20 each on Fridays ONLY from Friday, August 24th – Friday, September 28th. Get in the zone, y’all.
Keep Sane During Back to school
1. Take a self-care moment with a massage (or a spa day if you can spare it!)
– Blissful Beauty offers customized skin care services dependent on your needs. Get a professional (+ custom!) facial or skin treatment, OR a refreshing massage or bodywork treatment. You’ll feel relaxed, pampered, and ready to take on the busy school year.
– Lubbock in the Glow is a facial and skincare spa with a mission to create a total haven for visitors to relax, unwind, and have their skincare needs met. Don’t let the back-to-school season drive you (or your skin) crazy. Visit Lubbock in the Glow to stay grounded with a seriously special experience just for you.
– Remedy Wellness Spa has the wellness services that would have even the most stressed out parent floating on cloud nine. With deep tissue massages, sugar scrubs, hot stone therapy, facials, nail care, and other salon services, there’s something to soothe everyone.
– Melissa’s Spa & Wellness is the spa that will have you looking good and feeling good this before the school year begins. Relax with a massage and/or facial in Melissa’s quiet and comfortable facility.
– IVRS is an IV Rejuvenation Station offering hydration therapy to treat dry skin, improve skin tone and glow, and improve nail and hair health. Tackle the back-to-school season with increased energy levels, an immunity boost, and all the health benefits that come with IV hydration therapy.
2. Grab a drink with a pal (aka rescue another stressed parent!)
– Tea2Go! A bazillion options for tea. Energizing ones, calming ones, tasty ones, ones you’ve never had before!? Despite the name, you don’t haaave to take your tea to go: stay + relax a while. Go alone if you want but please, take an hour for yourself to breathe + enjoy your sips. Drink ’em cold, drink ’em hot. Drink up all they got.
– The Wine Nest is Lubbock’s premier boutique wine + gift store. They do wine tastings, offer live music, and other fun events. Stop in for small plates, craft beer, that live music on the patio, and, of course, excellent wines.
– The 50th Street Caboose is your place for FUN. Unwind with a tasty drink, a heart meal, and/or games! games! games! We’re talkin’ pool tables, video games and other entertainment. 50th Street has beer, wine, + cocktails as well as a fantastic menu of Mexican and American food. Readers are leaders! Learn the history behind the Caboose here. (Make plans!)
3. Aromatherapy, y’all.
– Fragrance of Heaven not only sells amazing smelling candles and melts but also gives you a chance to create your very own pours. That’s right. YOU can create a custom scent at one of their “pouring parties” or just pick up a candle with a scent that will help remind you to relax during the back-to-school madness. (Pro-tip: pick something you want to dedicate the school year to. Peace, energy, love – and pour accordingly. It’s the gift that’ll keep on giving way past B2S!) Learn about the story of this heavenly business here.
You can find all of these local Lubbock businesses on Towny – your totally free resource for perks and connections to the local shops + services in your town. Don’t stress this back-to-school season! Just download Towny and take care of business with ease.