Waco’s put the rest of Texas on notice as a center of creativity, local business and out of this world hospitality. Whether you’re a dyed in the wool longtime local or are just getting to know this delightful city on the Brazos, here are a few tips to stringing together a day in Waco you’ll never forget.
- Caffeine With A Shot Of Culture. Societies have been built on the virtues of the brown bean, and we can see why: we’re just not ourselves without Common Grounds waking us up in the morning. Camp out on some funky furniture and settle in to your morning brew. They’re good for live entertainment often, too.
- Your Sweet Tooth Leads To Smiles. You don’t have to be in the market for an elaborate special occasion cake to sweeten your morning (though they do that too): Simply Delicious Bakery will put a song in your step through your tastebuds, from cupcakes to kolaches to cookie confections.
- Let’s Go Treasure Hunting. Room after room after expansive room of inventive and historic finds lurk within the strolling confines of LaSalle Shoppes. Go ahead and ask about that thing you’ve always wanted to find, but never thought you’d actually uncover. They just might surprise you.
- Savor An Inventive Lunch. Namesake of one of history’s great minds, Tesla’s Cafe & Coffee Pub serves an inviting bite (breakfast to BBQ) and will soon be expanding to feature a beer garden patio in the back. Ask about the occasional off-menu dessert (trust us on that one).
- Take In An Afternoon Matinee. Pop by the historic multilevel Hippodrome Theatre and camp out for a noteworthy classic or a first-run can’t miss flick. Or make your way to the second floor Bar & Lounge for a libation that hits the spot or an artisan snack.
- Get Cheesy. Those tastebuds won’t dance without inspiration, so soundtrack hem to something magical with specially crafted artisan cheeses from Brazos Valley Cheese. Gouda to Cheddar, Swiss to Brie, their carefully considered cheeses have been lauded at prestigious competitions all over North America.
- Quench Yourself. You have the right to sip a tall one from Bare Arms Brewing, Waco’s hometown craft brewer. Come for the distinct and varied beer selection (from sours to saisons to java stouts), stay for the laid-back vibe and community mojo.