As much as you love those little nuggets (a.k.a. Your kids), you’re probably more than happy to send them off to school this school year. Gone are the days of frantically coming up with activities to fill each summer hour, and approaching are the days of frantically preparing your children for school. But, back-to-school season doesn’t have to be chaotic! We’ve put together a guide of the local Acadiana business that are here to help you manage the back-to-school season with grace.
Must-Do Tasks Before the School Year Begins
1. Prep for afterschool activities or shop for a back-to-school outfit
- Bell's Sporting Goods sells everything and anything you could possibly want in a sporting goods store. Find comfortable yet sturdy athletic wear and uniforms for after-school activities as well as sporting equipment and gear for a range of sports and athletic activities.
- Ranch Outlet has kids cowboy boots, as well as ranching and hunting equipment. Stock up on all things ranching.
- Southern Style Outfitters has the cutest and latest trends in clothing, accessories, and shoes for your junior-sized students. Shop for a new outfit that will have your teenage girls ready to head back to school in style.
2. Get your child a haircut and a confidence boost
- Magnolia Salon & Parlour is offering back-to-school specials for boys and girls aged 16 and under. They’ve also got back-to-school discounts for you teachers out there! Get a fresh cut to start the school year strong.
- Trendsettaz Beauty and Barber specializes in sew-ins, braiding, hair coloring, styling for natural or relaxed hair, and several other hair styling services. Right now through the end of August, Trendsettaz is offering a back-to-school special on sew-ins for the ladies out there. Get the hairdo (and the confidence!) to go back to school in style.
- Melange Salon will have kids ready to head back to school with haircuts, styling, hair coloring, hair treatments, and other salon services. Take your child for a little pampering before the school year starts. Also, check out the story of Melange Salon owner, Yaima Fernandez.
- Salon Dazz uses premium products that are healthy for your hair and scalp. All ages are welcome for a highlight, color, cut, and styling. Give your child a professional haircut and style to head back to school with confidence.
3. Be prepared for those crazy carpool lines
- Ross Tire & Service will have your car engine, brakes, and tires in tip top shape to handle the carpool line, trips to soccer practice, and all other errands and school-year driving. Stop by this family-owned and operated car service shop for routine maintenance or any auto repairs.
4. Take your kids for some fun activities before it’s back to business this school year
- Sword N Board not only sells fun board games, card games, and other toys and games, but also they have exciting game event nights. If your kids love gaming, magic, or cards, swing by for a bit of fun before the summer comes to an end.
- Fun Nation is Lafayette’s center for roller skating, arcade games, and good ‘ole family fun. For more than 36 years, Fun Nation has given Acadiana families a fun place to let out some energy and have a delightful time.
- Planet Ice Hockey & Skating Rink is a new ice rink facility in Lafayette with ice skating, hockey, party rooms, concessions, and more fun activities. Come skate and have a thrilling time on the ice to cool off on these last few days of heat before the school year.
- Anubis Game & Hobby is the place for all things video game, board game, and hobby. Owners Delaina and Darnel are passionate about gaming and are always willing to help you out with any of your game needs (read their story here!). Bring your kids by to purchase a new game or to take part in one of the game events.
Don’t Neglect Yourself. Keep Sane During the Back to School Season.
1. Grab coffee or a glass of wine (bring a friend along, too!)
- Tribe Collective sells delish coffee drinks as well as teas and juices that will nourish your taste buds and your soul. They also have food and snacks, and every item on the menu is made with your well being in mind. Come and get nourished before the back-to-school madness kicks in.
- My Somm brings tasty wines directly to your door. If you need to unwind after a crazy day of back-to-school shopping but don’t feel like leaving the house, Ben Leger (My Somm’s owner and professional sommelier) will swoop in to save the day.
2. Relax with a soothing massage
- Essentials Salon & Spa offers a variety of rejuvenating massages like Deep Tissue, Aromatherapy, Hot Stone, and other professional massages. They also provide facials, hair care, nail services, and waxing. You’ll feel ready to tackle the school year after unwinding with a day of pampering and relaxation.
- Mon Reve Salon is a professional hair care salon that also offers spa services such as refreshing facials and soothing massages. You’ll be in good hands as you experience on of their many calming, soothing routines that clear the mind and ease the soul. Rest assured that the back-to-school season won’t have you up in arms after a visit to Mon Reve Salon.
3. Get ready to take on the school year with a new outfit (or two!)
- Herringstones boutique sells the latest trends in dresses, bottoms, shoes, and all things fashion. With three locations throughout Acadiana, you’re sure to find something cute to have you feeling ready to tackle the school year in style. (P.S.– check out their story here!)
- Bevo's is your one stop shop for the most fashionable in clothing, shoes, and accessories. They’re a multi-generational boutique, so you can pick out an outfit for yourself or for your tween and teen students before they head off to school. Learn more about what sets Bevo’s apart from the rest here.
- Armada Athletic Apparel sells fashionable and affordable fitness wear for men and women. When dealing with busy school schedules starts to feel like a workout, Armada has you covered with the latest and greatest in athletic shoes, clothing, and other fitness accessories.
4. Treat yourself to flowers or grab a first-day-of-school gift for the teachers
- Leona Sue's Florist has the best and freshest flowers in Scott with personalized arrangements for any occasion. Buy some flowers to brighten your day, or pick up a gift to tell your kids’ teacher how much you appreciate their dedication. Learn more about the story of Leona Sue’s here.
- Les Amis Flowerland has a wide selection of flower arrangements to make your next occasion memorable or to simply liven up your mood. As a top flower shop in Lafayette, Les Amis Flowerland offers a lovely assortment of plants and dazzling gift baskets created by expert florists. Swing by and be dazzled by their gorgeous arrangements.
- Cookies in Bloom has a special and delicious cookie bouquets (because who says bouquets can only be made with flowers?!). They’ve even got a section of back-to-school and teacher appreciation cookie arrangements. Their cookies are made from scratch everyday with premium ingredients to bring you a tasty treat.
4. Ease into the school year with pre-made meals
- Fit Blendz has “Grab N’ Go Meals” for a quick, easy, and affordable way to eat well-balanced food. Order food from their tailored meal plans, or just grab a bite to eat from the delicious yet nutritious breakfast or lunch menu.
You can find all of these local Acadiana businesses on Towny– your totally free resource for perks and connections to the local shops and services in you area. Don't stress this back-to-school season! Just download Towny and take care of business with ease.